Re: [RC] Ponying - long - abigail Madden

Hi,

I taught my 7 year old Mustang/Arab gelding (Rosko) to pony much like this.  I wanted him to learn trail stuff first without a rider on his back and thought ponying would be perfect.  However, he can be a brat at times when learning new things and I didn't want to get myself or the other Arab boogered up.  So, I got out the old heavy roping saddle, put it on the very steady and stocky quarter horse, Magic.  I put a rope halter on Rosko with a thick cotton lead rope and I wore gloves.  I started out by snugging him up pretty close to Magic and taking a dally.  That way, Rosko would be so close to Magic that if he did try to pull back or balk he wouldn't be able to get much leverage, or get behind Magic and cut me in half with the rope (note: knife in pocket).  We went round and round the arena like that at the walk and then slow trot.  As our lessons progressed, I let out more of the lead rope so that he could move behind Magic.  Rosko how now progressed to doing this saddled and bitted up.  It helps if the lead horse is dominant, but not nasty.  That way the pony horse learns to follow without being fearful of getting kicked.

Good luck,

abigail
Chico, CA

GarnerT <GarnerT@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Next time I'm going to get on my husband's Quarter Horse (we call him
Thunder Butt), put on my old western saddle, take a few dallys around the
horn & show that mare what for! That'll be another story for another day.

I'm just glad I didn't try this on the trail.