[RC] Dubai III - Steve Shaw

Things are really different in the UAE. They don't have planning departments that hinder projects, there are not EIR plans, they don't bother with easements and forget public input to the process. I am not complaining, it really gets things done. Don't get me wrong. I am impressed with the process. My mother raised me with the thought that a benevolent dictatorship was the best form of government. And my dad was like that..... (some might say that that explains alot!)
Two days before the event they were still building the vet village, paving the parking lots and putting up grandstands, scaffolding and party/food facade for the opening ceremonies. BTW, these grandstands and facades stood right in the middle of the in and out gates and P/R areas. They had 18 hours to remove and clean up three weeks of work and THEY DID IT! It was like night and day.
The Race Day Village and parties that occurred were opulent, extravagant, impressive, jaw dropping, educational, fantastic and very nice if you got invited. The race day village and crewing areas were open to the general public which was impressive, especially the hordes of locals and children that found where the free desserts were and the groups there were four deep grabbing bowels of treats. One of the few times that it was not necessary to have a coveted credentials tag to get in. ( I never did have or demand one till after the event when I wanted to see and help my horse.)
I had a great time and fun. My role was not to get into trouble, drive the 4X4 water/support vehicle on the race course, supporting our runner/water handler Lisa Schneider, look for water and just hang out... watching what was happening in the VC and race. Lucky me.
I have to say that the whole event was like living in Disneyland for four days..... I really enjoyed the rides. Oh, it did cost me $3,800 for the E-ticket.
Am thinking of getting a camel to explore our American desert more and not be constrained by FEI rules. (An exit that will probably please many.... :)
Steve Shaw