[RC] opinions - larry Miller

I would be willing to guess that any of us who have ridden for many years have had good experiences along with bad experiences.  Sometimes the only way to learn is the hard way.  We all make mistakes, we all learn from our mistakes.  Sometimes we could have prevented our mistakes, sometimes s@@@ happens and there was nothing we could have done.  My hubby lost his good QH mare over 5 years ago from a weird liver disease.  For weeks we were checking the horses' gums for redness 2 and 3 times a day.  Our vet caught us doing it and gave us a big lecture.  Mostly what he said was, "if one owns horses long enough, one is going to have 'stuff' happen that cannot be prevented."  He then went on to say that what happened to Lucky was not our fault, that it was just the luck of the draw.   He made us feel good when he also said that we took excellent care of our horses.
Unfortunately, no matter how careful we are, no matter what excellent care we give our horses on trail, ugly things can and will happen.  I always figure that when something does, there but for the luck of the draw, could be me.  Jeanie