Re: [RC] QH -- Charge Cindy - heidi

My Starman is supposedly a QH-Arab cross, although I really don't know
for sure. He's the hottest, most reactive horse I've ever had. He's a
blast to ride and a really good boy who knows his job well, but he's far
hotter than any of the purebreds or Anglos I've raised.

Anyone else with this experience with Quarabs?

Yep, I've seen some like that.  Like any other cross, it depends a lot on
the dispositions of the individuals of each breed that were the parents.
Having dealt with Arabs that ranged from hot-bordering-on-nuts to
kid-gentle, reliable, and in-your-pocket, and having dealt with QHs that
ranged from calm, safe, and reliable critters to ones that would nail you
without provocation and were durn near impossible to touch, it isn't
difficult to see why the combination could be all over the map as well.
Just like breeding purebreds, when one breeds crossbreds one needs to make
sure that the parents have the attributes that one wants in the offspring.

We raised one pretty nice Quarab by Surrabu--he did a few endurance rides,
but his young owner was busy with college and then career, so he spent
most of his life as a trail horse.  He would certainly go down the trail,
and would have done well in endurance had his career continued.  We also
had a neighbor breed a nice QH mare to Surrabu, and he said that the
resulting offspring was the greatest saddle horse he ever had.  He didn't
do endurance either, but he packed a lot, and used to pull packstrings
with his Quarab--and he used to joke about how they could get the
packstring into the back country, and if they forgot something, he could
just mount back up on Kidron and ride out and ride back in again, no
problem!  Surrabu sired a few other Quarabs before we got him--one of
which took his young rider to second place in the state in Little Britches
roping!

Heidi