[RC] Training a young QH - wendy mancini

    I started endurance with an old QH.  He is 14.3 and was bulky when we started training for distance.  We had been doing trails 5 - 15 mi.  I spent 6 mo working him 18 - 20 mi a couple times a week before his first 25.  6 months later we completed his first 50, Old Dominion.  It took us 11:56.  He was 18 and that was 2001.  He passed the 2000 mi mark this year.  Not only is he a QH, he's also a black bay and I've never had a problem with his pulse.  We can ride into a check at a trot & be down in the time it takes to pull the saddle, even in the eastern humidity.  He does well at 50's but his old joints never made it through a 1 day 100.  We've done our share of 2 day 100's & come home it great shape.  (don't we all just love to brag <grin>).
    Now I'm starting a youngster too - He did a couple 50's last year at age 6 and several CTR's, one 3 day 80 and did very well.  He pulses down immediately also. I don't expect to try 100 until he's 8.  From everything I've read and everything I've heard from riders far more experienced than myself, if you want a horse that will last, take it slow and careful.  Don't be in a rush, get to know your horse.  (Easy to say - soo hard to do).  Sounds like you've got a good program going, keep it up.
    And yes, talk to Kim Reeves, she's done great with her QH.  QH can do!  Good luck.