Re: [RC] Maybe shorter is better ;) - Chris Paus

Kristen, there are no hard and fast rules. I'm a heavyweight rider. I've competed on a 15.1H, 1050 pound Arab and a 14.2H 850 pound Arab. Each horse has done equally well. In fact, the littler horse has better heart rates.

I think it has more to do with the sturdiness of the horse, than it's height or weight. As a heavyweight rider, I've learned to ride well balanced and as "light" as I can, i.e., posting carefully, not flopping myself down on the horse, using a mounting block, etc.

chris

Kristen A Fisher <kskf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So here's a question - is there a hard and fast rule about horse size/weight vs. rider/tack weight?

Kristen in TX

"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus