[RC] What I learned as a Ride Manager - GoldenCMK

After seeing quite a hairy week on Ridecamp, I'd like to share the positive side of this sport.

I was a first time ride manager of Frigid Digit here in Central Region this past weekend. We had over a 140 riders, the weather was wonderful, ride went smooth. I had no idea how many people it takes to put on a ride.

I called out for volunteers and they came, many drove for hundreds of miles to help for the day. Volunteers put so much of their own time and money to help and very rarely to they get respect or even noticed. I am amazed by their continued devotion to do so. Many of these volunteers are fellow riders, some were friends, some total strangers, yet all jump in and do what needs to be done so riders can ride. One teenage girl (non horse person) was there to help her mom, the cook, when she was asked to scribe for the vet she did and did it very well, all day long. Then there are the great group of vets here in the central region.

Now, let me tell you about the riders. When the first 75 milers came in they told me half of the 50 milers where off trail and lost, worst yet they were the front runners. I worried that I would have a bunch of 50 milers coming in angry and upset. Not a single one came in and complained. Several came to me and said it was their fault for getting off trail, just did pay enough attention but soon righted their wrong and completed the loop. All were super, all were in good spirits and all were very kind to me.

So many riders went out of their way to speak kind words to me, countless hugs and several riders commenting on how other riders help them out on trail. Many newbies came to me with how total strangers helped them.

What did I learn as a ride manager? That not only do I love this sport for the horses and riding but I love for the people. Central Region Rocks!

Maria