[RC] Condemning folks w/treated horses... - sehredt

Having been there myself, I know that the sideways glances and downright evil
comments from other riders only added additional and unnecessary stress while
the VERY few little gestures like a sympathetic smile or pat on the shoulder
were Godsends.  I didn't over ride Solitaire the one time it happened to me.  I
was near the back of the pack.  But sometimes it happens in this crazy sport.
Sometimes it happens in life in general.  And people's real character is
measured by their responses - both during and after such a traumatic event.

This is why I make it a point, anytime I see a horse being treated at a ride,
to go over and offer an encouraging, commiserating smile and a pat on the
shoulder.  I ignore all the camp rumours about what a horrible person this is
and how they tried to kill their mount.  The only FACT I know is that they are
doing the right thing by having the horse treated and not hiding it or whisking
it away to die somewhere to save themselves embarrassment.  Whatever happened
before, they are, at that moment, doing the right thing.

The most appreciated thing done for me the day Solitaire was being treated was
an offer of a cold bottle of water (because I'm sure I looked like hell - just
like my beloved horse) and so I will take a cold bottle of water to ANYONE,
ANYTIME I see them having their horse treated.  I'll leave it to Ridecampers to
flame and condemn them.
:o)
Scott