Re: [RC] Led Horses Regardless of Weight Divisions - Barbara McCrary

I hadn't been following this discussion until now, but I sincerely hope AERC never passes a rule that riders cannot dismount and lead. I personally prefer to make my own choice as to whether I shall lead my horse or not. I don't want rules that tell me I can't.

Barbara

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ridecamp Guest" <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, December 31, 2005 8:47 AM
Subject: [RC] Led Horses Regardless of Weight Divisions

Please Reply to: Karen Nelson knelson4299@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Truman- I do not know you. I do not know what weight division you are in. I do not know how old you are. I do not know what part of the country you live in and how hilly it may or may not be there. I do not know how long you have been competing in endurance.

Merryben is correct. I don't think there has ever been a pair of riders where one is getting ponied that has finished first place/second place.
I have always been taught that I should dismount when traversing downhill to save the horse. I tried to do that, especially at Tevis. I walked downhill and rode uphill. My horse was strong uphill and didn't tail well.
I have actually seen a rider lead a horse for a whole 50 mile event when the rider was training for the Western States 100 Mile Foot Run on the Tevis Trail. I didn't mind the rider getting a completion. I figured that rider worked much harder than any of the riders.
If a horse is balking at crossing small wooden bridges or whatever and you can safely lead the horse, you owe that to the other riders stacking up behind you. Sometimes that is the safer solution for all riders and horses.
The entire litany of AERC is "take care of your horse". If that means getting off and walking when necessary, I will do that.
If you get a rule passed that says you can never get off your horse, I predict alot of wet saddles and uncomfortable tights, along with blisters. If you have a tack problem and are not able to dismount and take care of it, that is another wreck happening.
If I am walking, I am going much slower than most of the pack. Leave me there and ride your own race.
Endurance riders get along well with a limited number of rules. Leave it alone. Don't be getting your undies in a bunch over nothing.