[RC] euthansia - Kathie Ford

Well, this is a difficult subject.  Of which I myself have had experience unfortunately.

But that being said I think calling a vet out and being able to tell your animal how much you love them and then putting them down this way is a most gentle and loving way to say goodbye.

I've helped may friends say goodbye to their beloved horse friends and even some who couldn't bare to be there themselves so I was for them.

I also got to hold my beloved St. Bernard, Heidi as the vet administered the meds. when her time came.  I had her for 11 years which is old for a St.  I loved that dog, and being able to hold her as the vet put her to sleep was so much nicer, although thru a flood of tears, than to do it any other way.  I still remember how she looked up at my face after he gave her the shot.  It was almost as if she said goodbye to me as well.  It was a comfort to me as well as I?d hoped she felt my arms around her when I kissed her and said my goodbyes.  The vet was so wonderful and compassionate as well, and even gave me a hug too!  He was so wonderful and caring.  I'll always appreciate that about vets.  What they have to do so often in their lives for us and our animals.

When it came time for my daughters horse to be put down, I was also able to hold her after she was on the ground, and was able to stroke her neck and face gently, between lots of tears and, as she had her last few breaths, and tell her how much she had been loved by my daughter.  I'm glad we were there with her and put an end to her suffering and pain, although it was so very difficult.

I have no idea what I would do out in the wild.  I just hope I never have to cross that road.  But I do know if it's at home or where a vet is it will be done that way in peace and comfort for the love of my animals.
The expense means nothing compared to the more peaceful way of saying goodbye, although painful for the owner.

But that is just my personal choice.

I remember just before I got my first horse that a good friend told me to have my mind made up already when that day comes, so my horse won't have to suffer any indecision I may have that would prolong their suffering.  I think that was good advice.

None the less, it is always so very hard to lose a friend.  But there is much comfort in it being in a humane way and knowing you loved them very much.
I only hope that they knew/know how much they are loved and valued as well.

kathie