[RC] bananas/toxic fruit & veggies - Sherman

Potatos & tomatos are listed in the nightshade group as toxic to horses with a note that the toxic alkoloids are destroyed by cooking. There are some good pics of other toxic plants on this website http://extension.oregonstate.edu/linn/content1/poisonplants.php . It's good to be able to recognize these plants as some of them have a cumulative effect (such as fiddleneck), so you don't want your horse to nibble any. I have a few of them on our 5 acres, but I hand pull them every year so have less and less to deal with, with the exception of curly dock. Being a perrenial with a long taproot, I just can't get them out of the ground and haven't found a spot weed-killer that works on it yet. Although what grows here is not "curly" so I don't know if it is toxic (does anyone know??), but it sure is obnoxious looking, so I'll keep trying.

Kathy