RE: [RC] Still confused about beet pulp - Susan E. Garlinghouse, D.V.M.

Plain beet pulp with every last morsal and nuance of molasses removed is still high in soluble fiber, and provides more calories per pound than the richest hay on earth.  So if your mare does fine (or even too fine) on just hay or whatever, then skip the beet pulp.  She doesn’t need the calories.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM, MS

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Debbie Lyons
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2005 12:45 PM
To: Ridecamp
Subject: [RC] Still confused about beet pulp

Ok, I know it's probably been talked to death. But I'm still confused about feeding beet pulp. I have a Morgan mare who is a very easy keeper and becomes obese by anything but near starvation. Is plain beet pulp - no molasses added, a high carb or low carb food source, and is it a good thing to feed her? Thanks