Re: [RC] senior horse feeding - RDCARRIE

In a message dated 12/28/2005 4:28:47 PM Central Standard Time, dedej@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I have a 30 year old mustang mare who has been on a "mush" diet of
senior feed and beet pulp for about 3 years now (and has done very
well).  This is due to worn down teeth and her not being able to eat
any hay (She quids it all).  She is in pretty good health for her age
but has lost a little weight and I'm trying to figure the best way to
add calories to her diet.

We have an Arab gelding who will be 31 in May.  He has a bit of trouble keeping weight on, especially during winter, even though he's only lost 1 tooth so far.  We tried adding oil to his beet pulp/Strategy slurry, but he hates it...he can detect even a tablespoonful of oil.  <G>  What has helped him is switching to Ultium mixed with his beet pulp...it's higher in fat, and has really helped put weight back on him.  We tried a couple of senior feeds, and they didn't help.

Good luck with your girl...
Dawn in East Texas