[RC] Christmas Ride - Nancy

We always have a Christmas Day ride here at the Lazy J.  This year was no
exception.  Last year  my friend Ginny was dumped onto a hard packed gavel
road at a canter.  This year was my turn.  I was dumped onto the dried grass
and small brush next to the main trail about 100 feet below our property.  I
believe my horse bucked because she was stung by a wasp.  Long story short,
my daughter, Danielle was having trouble with Lyric basically on top of the
ground wasp's nest.  I was behind her waiting for the antics to end.  Then I
was on the ground.  It happened so fast all I can remember is thinking I was
coming off and grapping at the mane.  I landed on my side and rolled
underneath my horse, Jazzi. Jazzi jumped away to avoid stepping on me and
was caught by Danielle.   Ginny was just ahead of us and with Danielle came
to my rescue.  Ginny is a body worker, like a chiropractor and worked on me
while I was on the ground.  In a few minutes I was up, in pain, but able to
mount and ride up the hill to my barn.
I have a badly bruised sacrum and butt.  My butt feels like a bowling ball!
I am getting better with ice, Advil, Arnica gel, Vicodan as needed and
chiropractic adjustments. Unfortunately I will miss a New Year's trip to
Pioneer town and the Warner Springs ride.  But this taught me a lesson.  Get
rid of the hornets nest, do not tolerate them.  I have attempted to get rid
of them a few times, half heartedly at best with several pesticides.  They
always came back, just in less numbers.  We have been trotting by the nest
or taking a different path around the nest. So, when I can walk better and
can drive I will dump a gallon of diesel into the hole and be done with
them, for good!  I am so grateful for Ginny as she administered first aid
and reduced the swelling.  Oh, and Ginny tells me it is my turn to bring the
pastries for next year's Christmas ride.  Happy New Year to all, be safe and
have fun,
Nancy Reed (when will I lose the bowling ball in my butt?)
Lazy J Ranch
Elfin Forest, CA