Re: [RC] [RC] helping tailgaters - RHONDA LEVINSON

From: Truman Prevatt <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: RHONDA LEVINSON <rhndlev@xxxxxxx>
CC: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC]   helping tailgaters
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 17:27:03 -0500

However, when a horse has a glaze over its eyes and is way in
over its head mentally on an endurance ride - that's a different story. I've seen too many of them.

Truman, this has been the situation that I was talking about in two cases -- horses with their eyes glazed over. In those two cases what I did was ask my horse to move on the diagonal slightly to keep his back legs out of the way (a couple of years of CTR training have come in SO helpful), and have the other horse's head by his flank or actually near enough for me to grab, in the one case. We moved along with both horses slightly on the diagonal until the other horse could settle.

In the other cases, when I could see a runaway coming, I could turn Chief sideways on the trail to block. Once, we backed into brush to keep the other horse from ducking around him to keep running. [Once again, thank goodness for CTR training!] That person was so totally out of control, she dismounted and walked the horse back to camp. The problem really is with the people who don't warn me and come racing up and actually slam into the horse before I can move him, or have their horse's head actually over Chief's butt, without seeming to think it was a problem, by the way. Those guys scare and anger me.

Rhonda