[RC] slowing the walk - KKMoonshadowrnch

In a message dated 12/20/2005 5:54:47 PM Pacific Standard Time, ridecamp-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
We
are working on the not getting so close thing, but it is also frustrating to
be continually telling him "slower" when behind a horse we can't pass, and
"faster" when in front.  Any tips on teaching him to slow down that big walk
when behind but extend when in front?
Nick has absolutely the slowest walk imaginable, especially if he doesn't want to go forward.  So, of course we have been working on increasing the speed of his walk all of his ridden life!  Anyway, I absolutely hate it when I am behind a horse that walks slower than Nick (I mean really, how is this possible)  So instead of trying to make him walk slower.  I just halt, get a little distance and then continue walking at the speed I want him to walk at.  Usually the other rider gets the picture after a while and lets us lead.

Kathy & Nick (Hea, I'm not slow, I'm meditating at the walk! Gimme a break)
Moonshadow Ranch
McKenna, WA