[RC] Riding after eating question - Jonni

If I am remembering right, Dr. Garlinghouse DVM suggests waiting 4 hours after a horse eats a LARGE meal before working them hard.  I'd guess you are fine Diane to work your horses after they have been eating their dinner.  Of course, some object to being pulled away from the meal, while others are fussy if you work them before they eat, as they know they will get fed when done.... I try to never feed right away when I am done working them, so they do not get in the habit of a "reward when done". It seems to create more problems, as they learn the sooner they are done, the sooner they get fed.  This is especially bad on those who learn to jig home after a ride, knowing they will soon be fed.

Jonni