From: Beverley H. Kane, MD <sensei@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: RideCamp <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 08:33:45 -0800
Subject: Re: [RC] Newbie Questions - Beverley

Thanks for the congratulations! It was not a given that I could do it, so I
continue to savor the ("to finish is to") win as I stare at the ride photo
here on my desk.

I should note that I was riding one of my mentor's 8 yo Arabs on whom I had
done a few conditioning rides. (Little) Deuce (Coupe) (AERC name, Blind
Faith) had recently done a couple of 50s; he is sweet, smart, solid, and
never even breathed hard tho we cantered in the rain most of the 2nd half.
And as previously mentioned, my mentor's conditioning program has stood the
test of time and Tevis. So I had complete not-blind faith that Deuce could
do it if I did my part.

There are pros and cons to being a jockey--another thread, no doubt.
I'm impressed with those amazing people who do 100s on "rented" horses, or
horses whose riders got sick at the last minute, etc, and who meet their
mounts for the first time the day before the ride!

Beverley