Re: [RC] Red Ribbons, Tailgating & Kicking (and obnoxious people) - Born Country

Then there are those people that will tell you, after
they have slammed into the back-end of your horse a
couple of times, "Let your horse kick, it will teach
mine a lesson.  Then maybe he'll back off!"  You're
right, it would be a rather hard lesson if they have
to put their horse down because they refuse to take
control!

Esther and Chagalle, who has never kicked, but still
has heels just in case.....

--- rdcarrie@xxxxxxx wrote:

<<Such as, the horse who just is in love with live
and a bit crazy around all them horses. Some of
these horses (not to mention my darling, Doimas, of
course) will kick their heels over their heads
because they feel good. When that happens, there are
no signals, because the horse isn't angry or
defensive. >>

I don't think most were talking about horses such as
this - I know I wasn't.  As long as the rider makes
sure that their exhuberant horse isn't a danger to
others (and from your posts, it sounds like you do
take precautions), I don't have a problem with these
kinds of horses.  I think we were all talking about
the horses that deliberately try to kick other
horses, for whatever reason - defending themselves
from a perceived threat (they need to learn that
other horses are not a threat when under saddle),
aggression, whatever.  Those need to "see Jesus"
right then and there.

I kinda agree on one level - those who stupidly let
their horse crash into others deserve whatever they
get.  Except, a shattered tibia or knee on a rider,
or a horse put down from a broken leg, is pretty
harsh punishment.  So, it's up to all of us to make
sure that our own horses are as solid as we can make
them (and I agree that there is no such thing as a
horse that will *never* kick), and try to educate
(or avoid!) the idiots who refuse to (or can't)
control their horse.

Incidentally, I encountered something last summer
that I'd never seen before...people making fun of
those who had red ribbons in their horses' tails.  I
was at a ride in a different region.  My 6 yr old
gelding had a red ribbon because he'd kicked once 5
or 6 months before, and as far as I was concerned,
enough time without kicking had not passed to show
me that he was trustworthy.  In CT region, people
tend to be pretty cautious about warning others of
potential danger.  I was riding alone, and had come
up on two other riders on horses with red ribbons
(and their horses both *did* threaten and try to
kick mine when I eventually passed them).  Right
behind me were two very well-known riders with
thousands of AERC miles each, from another region.
One of them kept saying over and over, deliberately
loud enough for me to hear, "Look at all these
kickers.  I can't imagine why people would want to
ride a kicker.  Wonder where all these kickers are
from" and so forth, off and on for about a mile.  I
didn't say anything, but I sure wante
d to turn around and slap his snide, self-righteous
remarks off his face!  I guess some people just have
a superior attitude and like to put others
down...guess they never heard of "if you can't say
anything nice, keep your mouth shut!"

Dawn in East Texas (who will continue to use red
ribbons when I feel they're warrented)
and Bear (I sure got religion the one time I
kicked!)