[RC] Red Ribbons, Tailgating & Kicking - WRSINOSKY

I remember this conversation just a few short months ago.   While I totally agree in theory regarding reprimanding before the kicking starts, there are also those gray areas.

Such as, the horse who just is in love with live and a bit crazy around all them horses. Some of these horses (not to mention my darling, Doimas, of course) will kick their heels over their heads because they feel good. When that happens, there are no signals, because the horse isn't angry or defensive.

And then there are the people who allow their horse to continually crash into the backend of your horse.  Sorry, but I would probably kick too after the third or fourth time.

That isn't to say I allow my horses to kick, but there are times that arise when a nonkicker will show the bottoms of his hooves to somebody and take you by surprise.  Like the saying goes, "Sh$%! happens!"

I try to avoid getting that close to another horse.  Especially strange horses.  I live by the rule, "If it has feet, it can kick.  If it has teeth. it can bite."  Which is probably why I've only been injured by my own horses and not soem stranger's horse (even though the stranger assures me that their horse doesn't kick.).

Cindy Edwards
Buckeye.AZ