From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Sisu West Ranch
Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2005 2:35 PM
To: ridecamp
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] Frozen Tanks (Mpemba effect)

"...Also take into account that hot water has more minerals dissolved in it ..."

Actually, things are a bit more complicated than that.  Some things like sucrose are more soluble in hot water, some things like table salt are only slightly more soluble in hot water, some things like dish detergent are more soluble in cold water.  It all depends on Entropy, heat of solution and the rest of the boring laws of thermodynamics.

As a scientist, it is very hard for me to believe that anyone could come up with plausible explanation, in line with the 3 laws of thermodynamics,  that would allow for the effect being discussed here.  Even the proponents admit that the effect does not always happen.  I did note that some of the authorities quoted are the same one's quoted in the dark ages in discussions of medicine and science.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875