Re: [RC] [RC] Frozen Tanks - Carolyn Burgess

Now I feel compelled to tell you why this story persists.  If you fill an ice cube tray with hot water and put it in the freezer, it will freeze faster than if you fill an ice cube tray with cold water and put it in that same freezer (not at the same time as the tray filled with hot water).  The reason it will freeze faster is that the freezer senses a huge rise in temperature and kicks in to cool. It does not have the same response if you put a tray full of cold water.  If you put two trays in the freezer at the same time, one with cold water and one with hot water, the cold water will always freeze faster because it has less of a temperature drop to go to get to 32.

Carolyn Burgess

Carolyn Burgess <carolyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Do you really believe this?  Hot water will not freeze faster than cold water.

Carolyn Burgess

"Susan, Princess of Pink" <glenn218@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I can't explain this (Louise? Bruce?) but hot water will freeze faster than cold water will.