Re: [RC] Frozen tanks - Claire Nystrom

I board at a really cheap dumpy barn and it is not possible to use any
type of tank heater to keep the water from freezing.  I have to break
the ice several times a day and hand carry buckets of water to their
trough (I just tell myself it's good exercise).  I had the idea
several months ago to build a large box which will fit a muck bucket
inside of it, and then fill it with manure around the muck bucket.  I
thought perhaps the heat generated by the composting manure would help
keep the water from freezing.  I am not the terribly handy type, but I
could probably get a friend to help me build it.  I remembering
looking up a study that Cornell did about the heat generated by
composting manure and I think this would work.  I was wondering if a)
anyone has done this and b) how would I calculate the volume of manure
I would need to accomplish this?  Maybe some of you engineering types
would be able to help me figure this out.  My horses made it through
last winter with the frozen water problem, because they got in the
habit of taking a big drink each time someone broke the ice; however,
it's even colder this year than last year.  It was below zero last
night!!

ps.  I also have to carry water by hand at work to the trough-- I use
5 gallon gas cans, and carry two at a time-- it nearly kills me
because the hill is so steep an ATV can't make it up and I'm not
strong enough to make it up the hill with the cans in a wheelbarrow.
I usually have to carry about 30-50 gallons a day this way.  It sucks,
but I tell myself that at least I don't have to lift weights at the
gym!!!!

Thanks,
Claire