[RC] splints - larry Miller

I had a horse who competed from age 5 to 22.  He had a splint removed from his right front when he was 6.  It was close to one of his ligaments.  He always carried a bubble of fluid, he was always slightly off in the right circle, I always told the vets, sometimes there would be huge discussions and sometimes not, sometimes I would get a lecture about not over riding him and sometimes not, but ol' Charlie was never pulled for any problems from that splint.  He did endurance and competitive, he did 2 day 80s, he did 3 day 100s, he ran close to the front in 50s.  He took my daughter on rides until she left for college, he took my neighbor kid and got his Ohio blanket when he was 22. He had over 2500 competition miles on him.  If your vet thinks the horse is okay, go for it.  Jeanie