Re: [RC] traiul hazards................. - Chris Paus

Gosh Scott. I'm so sorry. I haven't had that happen,
but one of my horses last summer got a nasty leg
abrasion and subsequent inflammation and rash from
some kind of nasty viney weeds growing a long a trail
that wrapped around him. It took quite a while to
clear that up.

And, I'll never again use bell boots on a horse on
trail. I was riding the Starman down a rocky wooded
trail, trotting along and all of a sudden, he pitched
forward, tried to regain his balance, and then fell to
his knees. I rolled over his head. Neither of us was
hurt, but when I looked at his feet, his
professional's choice bell boot was hung up on a tree
root poking up from the ground. it was holding him
tight. The velcro did not give.

It could have been a real ugly accident. I wrote to
the Pro Choice people and sent them the boot and
suggested that maybe they shouldn't have them hold
quite so good! They just thanked me for my comments
and sent me a replacement, which I never asked for,
LOL..

I hope your horse mends quickly.

chris
--- sehredt@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I was riding my gelding, Draco today on a trail we
have ridden a hundred times when the strangest thing
happened...............

We were at a walk through a narrow wash that has
been trashed by the recent heavy rains and high
winds - lots of tumble weeds and trash, etc.  All of
a sudden he hesitated.  Took one more faltering
step, and stopped.  I looked down to see the oddest
sight.  He had caught his back leg in a length of
red surveyors string which was, somewhere, obviously
well anchored.  He was holding his back leg up in
the air and the string was taut and I could feel a
panic coming on - from both of us!  I tried to get
him to move back, but he wasn't going for it.  I
lept off his back, whipped my trusty knife from the
top of my half chaps (I always wondered why I always
carry it there) and cut the string.  A cursory
examination didn't seem so bad.  It looked like a
fairly minor abrasion and he was walking fine.  I
got back on and rode home.

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus