RE: [RC] Barefoot Bias - the ORIGINAL issue explained one last time - Ranelle Rubin

Angie,

I think you wrote the most astute comment about this whole subject in
terms of *right* vs. *wrong*..ultimately, there is NO RIGHT AND NO
WRONG...as long as the horse does not suffer! If done responsibly, it
sounds like barefoot is an option for some folks..I prefer to shoe my
horses..but I have fired some farriers whose work I did not approve of.
I have a responsible farrier now who realizes we are ALL still learning.

I saw a nice Q-Horse at Folsom Lake this week who was barefoot with
beautiful feet.. carrying a ranger. I was interested in what her
experience is/was with this.. I listened, learned and admired the health
of her horse's feet. She is NOT an endurance rider..she rides rocky
trails, but like Heidi has said, I doubt her milage or speed causes wear
that exceeds the growth. She was carrying an Old Mac boot and said she
occaisionally has to put it on..It looked pretty worn to me!

This may be an option for my retired endurance horse who only gets
occasional riding..something to think about. I have kept him shod
because I want to be able to pull him out of the pasture and put anyone
on him and go anywhere..could I do that if he was barefoot?? I don't
know...Maybe next winter I will pull his shoes and find out in the
spring...My concern would be if I put someone else on him, I would worry
that they could not necessarily pick up on the signs that his feet were
sore soon enough??

Let's all play nice in the sandbox folks...I love this forum, except
when some people feel they have to get on a soapbox and say their way is
the only way. I have learned a lot here and hope I can continue to do
so. Personally I prefer the open discussion format to the "I am right
and you are wrong" that has been the environment about this topic.

Have a great day..off to get a dose of "Equizac"...

Ranelle

What we truly and earnestly aspire to be, that in some sense we are. The
mere aspiration, by changing the frame of mind, for the moment realizes
itself.

Anna Jameson