[RC] Barefoot Bias - the ORIGINAL issue explained one last time - Shari

Since my original post is the one that started this raging debate, I'd
like to set the record straight.  Since absolutely NO ONE on this sight
has a clue what was in that article,  the feud that you have all gotten yourselves
into has nothing to do with my original post.   You waded in with both feet,
jumping up and down thumping your chests, and lost sight of the original
issue.  Here are the facts:

 I was invited to write my "precious article" (Heidi's words) after I
submitted a picture from the Biltmore ride last November; the idea of an article never
entered my mind.  And what I wrote was for me a success story, talking about
how I had been able to compete for 3 years in terrain from the mountains of NC to the Sandhills
of SC and GA.  We placed Top 10 several times, even getting 2nd in BC at Leatherwood last year.
I was careful to caution that it took TIME, commitment, patience, and that it wasn't for
everyone.  Nowhere did I try to convert any one, although I did suggest ways to get more
information for anyone who was interested.  In retrospect, I did make a statement that Heidi
would no doubt consider "pseudo-science" because I commented that a foundered or navicular
horse can be restored to health with certain trimming and prescribed care - which does
not include heart-bar shoes, reverse shoes (!), and/or stall rest (of course Heidi had no way of
knowing that, she referred to the web page by Dr. Teskey).  Sure, that flies in the face
of present day convention, but there are hundreds if not thousands of documented cases
world-wide where this has worked.  What amazes me is the attack mode Vets go into
because another Vet goes against convention. Didn't he go to Vet school the same as they?
Isn't his sheepskin on the wall worth as much?  Columbus was considered a nut in his day,
so was DaVinci, and so were the Wright Brothers.  All of whom turned out to be way ahead
of their time.  But I digress.

I wrote the article, got some comments back, made some changes and sent it back again.
While I was told that it had to undergo a review, I was also told that the article was "great"
and that review was mostly a formality.  Imagine my shock when after being reviewed it was
rejected solely on the basis of the fact that it had to do with competing barefoot, and nothing
to do with what it said or didn't say. The feedback was that "they could not endorse something
they did not feel was in the best interest of the majority of their members."  I was not seeking
endorsement, nor was I trying to brainwash anyone into anything.  I only wanted to share my
success and perhaps encourage anyone who was going down the same path. Neither is it their
decision what's in the best interest of my horse or anyone else's, unless it's on a ride.

Now THAT rejection to me was, and still is, BIAS, plain and simple, and that is what I fumed about.
If something I said, like the aforementioned comment, was too radical for them, they could have
said so.  If my reference to a particular method and source of information was objectionable,
they could have said so.  But no, the only reason I was given was that it dealt with barefoot
competition.  It's bad enough that vets look for every reason to pull a horse when they see it
barefoot, when they SHOULD give it extra credit for completing the ride barefoot.  I've been
a victim of that, too, but it hasn't worked, as my record will show only one pull for "Surface
Factors" - the sore back for which I myself pulled the horse.  And yes, we're talking LD's and
50's here, and yes, I know you 100 milers think anything less than that is dirt beneath your
hooves, but let me remind you that you are in the minority and the rest of us are keeping this
sport in business.  When there are over 200 combined entries in LD's and 50's,  and maybe
10-15 100's at a lot of rides (I didn't say ALL), that states the case.

Would I recommend someone ride a barefoot horse under conditions where his feet would "be
bloody stumps" (to borrow a favorite pro-shoeing description)?  OF COURSE NOT?  Did I
say every horse should be barefoot? NO.  One person wrote that he wasn't going to put down
gravel in his pasture when his driveway needed it, nor hand walk a horse for weeks or months.
Fine!  That's his decision, and personally I don't care.  But many people HAVE done that because
they choose too, and that's fine, too.  Don't ridicule them for the choices or sacrifices they make
to keep their horse barefoot.  In closing, I have seen the light in this debate.  In the past I have
suggested to people that they consider it, but no more.  I will do what I have chosen to do for my
horse, and find camaraderie online or on the trail with like-minded folks, but will I suggest barefooting?
No way.  But I will still consider the dissing by the EN Vets blatant bias.