[RC] Mileage and Distance in Perspective - Adam and Jannelle

I had been going to point this out and since the definition of "light
riding" has recently come up, I'll just throw this out there.  To the
average rider, never mind the average person, even going 25 miles on a
horse in one day, IS A HECK OF A LONG WAY!  While I've heard of but never
actually spoken to those who might think the only true endurance ride is
100 miles, heck, those outside RC think you're all crazy:)LOL

I recently invited my brother to meet us at our first ride of the year up
in WA.  I explained that Adam would be riding 50 miles with several breaks
where we would take care of the horse, etc, etc.  And he says, "And he does
this, why?"

And I just have to throw my little tidbit on the barefoot thing in (sorry,
can't help it).  I had been looking into it because I'm the money manager
on our farm and figured the barefoot "way" could save us some money.  But
after e-mailing privately with Lori and talking to others who are barefoot,
hearing Dr. Olin at the PNER convention, talking to Heidi...well, yeah, I
guess if putting the ride over the horse means going to the ride with shoes
on, that's the way we're going.  No way, in muddy Oregon, am I ever going
to waste $1000 of rock on my pasture!  My driveway and various other areas
need it way too much.  And riding regularly is my hubby's sanity and his
horses' too.  After much discussion with others, we figured out, we'd have
to train every mile in boots...so what's the point.  So I do appreciate
this whole discussion from all perspectives as it helped me make up my mind
to keep shoeing as needed.  I think it's great that some folks have found
something that they think is great for their horse and the way they ride.
I think we have, too.

Jannelle (don't bother to look up my record as I am an LD rider in
training...)

Jannelle Wilde & Adam Falk
Menagerie Farm
584 Romie Howard Rd