Re: [RC] HEIDI'S BAREFOOT POST - heidi

Please Reply to: MELANIE SCHALLOCK MLS3003@xxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ==========================================

 Our horses were not bred to be
pasture ornaments.  And if they had to remain barefoot, that is
essentially what they would be.  Oh, sure, they could be lightly ridden,
or ridden in arena disciplines.  But they could not be ridden for long
in our mountains and rocks.  We think more of our horses than to leave
them standing idle or to not allow them to develop their athletic
potential.  All of our horses grow up barefoot here in the rocks and
hills, and most are blessed with exceptional feet.  None of them are
shod until the work exceeds the wear.  When that happens, we shoe them
BECAUSE WE CARE ABOUT THEM!
*********************************

Heidi,

Thank you for suggesting I reread your post.  I did that, as I was
incredulous that I could have misunderstood what you said.

Could you point out where I misunderstood?

Be glad to, Melanie.  You misread (or misunderstood) the part about the
terrain where we live.  Several of our horses have really awesome feet
(some better than others, which is true of any large herd, if one is
honest about it)--but living and running in the natural rocks, they keep
them pretty well "trimmed" naturally.  So when we ride, and add the ridden
miles to what they travel in our "hill pasture" behind the house, the wear
begins to exceed the growth rate.  And because we care about their feet,
we choose to protect them from the terrain that we ask them to traverse
under saddle.  (In many cases, it is far more severe than what they run
in.)

Our stallions (and the occasional youngsters who are kept up) exhibit the
fact that our horses tend to have better-than-average hoof growth--those
of them that are up in small pens grow like crazy and need frequent
trimming.  Yet one of the best-footed ones still wore his feet down to the
point that one could NOT have shod them (and to the point of being tender)
simply running the fenceline in a five-acre pasture.  He certainly
illustrated the fact that conditioning barefoot feet stimulates better
growth--once confined, his feet grew out at an amazing rate.  But he also
illustrated the fact that on our terrain, even the best of feet are only
up to a little more than maintenance--which, of course, is the rate at
which equine feet evolved to grow.  If you want to use your horse at a
level beyond maintenance, you have to provide hoof protection to do so.

Many horses who do performance events barefoot do not have the wear and
tear at home that ours do just running out.  So some folks have the luxury
of "spending" that hoof growth under saddle.  We do not.  In our terrain,
if we did not provide hoof protection, our horses would sure be pretty
running around out there on the hillside...

I hope that clears up your misunderstanding--along with perhaps adding
that my definition of "light" use would probably cover most folks doing
LD-level riding or CTR.  (It certainly covers arena disciplines--I've yet
to shoe a horse just to go to an arena event.)

Heidi