RE: [RC] Barefoot riding - Libby & Quentin Llop DVM

Are the barefoot advocates aware that there is a similar movement for humans? Check out  http://www.runningbarefoot.org/  How many of you are committed to barefoot for yourselves or is it only for your horses?   No judgment- just curious. Right now my horses have 34 shod feet, 118 bare feet. My husband is wearing boots and I have socks on. No commitments.  Libby
-----Original Message-----
From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Barbara McCrary
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 3:14 PM
To: AERCMembersForum-moderator@xxxxxxxxxxxx; RIDECAMP
Subject: [RC] Barefoot riding

When I bought my horse 2-1/2 years ago, he came from eastern Montana where the footing was relatively sandy, and he had not been shod in all his six years of life.  He had, and still has, beautiful feet, but a short time of riding in our shale hills and mountains and he became sore. He's been in shoes ever since.  It would have been nice if I didn't have to have him shod, but he (and other horses we've had or have) cannot ride sound in this country without shoes.  It's not like granite, which is hard and abrasive, it's flat plates of shale, which exfoliate from the base rock. These pieces of shale are somewhat sharp. We don't need pads, but we do need shoes.  I remember back about 40 years ago on one of our packtrips into the Sierras, when a ranger came down the trail from behind us, and her horse was bare-footed on all that harsh, abrasive granite. I was impressed.

Barbara