Re: [RC] Where do folks ride - Chris Paus

Great questions Kathy, and great segue to a new topic!

I feel very fortunate to live quite close to a Kansas
state park with about  30 miles of equestrian trails.
My road dead ends at one of the entrances to the
trail. I'm about an 8 mile trailer ride to the main
trail head and equestrian camp ground.

So I can get to the trails by riding 3 miles of gravel
road, or by trailering to the camp ground. During the
weekend, it is very busy with pleasure riders, but
during the week days I usually have the park to
myself.

We have a good variety of terrain at this park..
hilly, wooded, rocky, bluffs overlooking the lake,
prairie meadows, swampy wet areas, everything. A horse
can really get used to all kinds of terrain there.

I don't have an arena, but do have my own pastures I
can ride in if I don't have the ambition to get out or
the weather sucks too bad. I also can ride on the
gravel roads around home. There's still not too
terribly much traffic here. And between growing
seasons, we can ride in the farm fields.

So I have lots of good options.

chris

--- Kathy Ramspott <Kramspott@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Has there ever been a discussion regarding where
folks do their conditioning
rides?  I wonder if there is any correlation between
the folks who can do
100's and if they can do their training rides in
their 'backyards' so to
speak.  Specifically

How many folks have to trailer to ride over 5 miles

            If you do have to trailer is it less
then or more then a 30
minute haul

How many folks have a park or non-road area without
having to trailer that
has over 5 miles worth of riding

How many folks get all their conditioning in by
riding in arena and or have
to ride along a road

You get the idea.

Just wondering