From: "Connie Owens" <koinsavvyup@xxxxxxx>
To: "ridecamp" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   Hose your horses in the cold?
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:19:07 -0600

Hi List,
I am in need of info, hope you sages can help! On another list which is pro "all natural" horsekeeping, one poster is insisting that allowing horses to get wet to the skin in cold weather actually creates a warm "wet suit" effect. According to her logic, when a horse is in a cold rain and the horse is getting wet through to the skin (not where the rain runs off the long coat and the undercoat is dry), the horses body heat will warm the cold rain through the coat and the horse will be insulated through a layer of warm water, thus why you should not blanket your horse in cold wet weather.

Now I understood that as long as the horse is not wet to the skin then they are still naturally insulated (provided lots of hay available for eating). So is there any truth to this concept? Myself, I find it hard to believe.

Connie
CT region
"There's only one King and it's not me"... Elvis Presley