[RC] Just how "evil" is alfalfa? - Jonni

I'd stay with situation B.  The problem I see with the first situation is
not so much the feed, but having several other horses in there with him, in
only a 2 acre turnout. You have no control over what other horses will be
with him, and that is not a big area. If you end up getting a horse in who
is a bully, it can not only cause injuries, but feeding time often ends up
in squabbles and the horse lowest on the pecking order won't get as much
food. You can not regulate the horses intake as well. If it is true pasture,
with grazing, some of the squabbling is diminished, as "feeding time" is not
as much a priority in their little minds.  If he seems to have adjusted from
pasture to the current corral, I'd say that seems to be a very doable
situation. He has company. They just can't steal his feed, or kick him.

Growing up in So. Calif., we kept horses in 12x24 corrals for over 20 years
at various locations. Many have never seen a pasture, so they only know that
type of housing. Now we are in Texas, with the 5 horses out in a 22 acre
pasture. What I found is, the So. Cal type housing, actually had me making
sure to get the horses out and exercised on a more regular basis. Also, the
over all injuries, cuts, scrapes etc. were minimal as to being in pasture.
AND, I noticed them quicker when the horse was in that situation, as I HAD
to feed them twice a day, look them over, clean the corral etc.

For those who have never had to deal with the corral / stable type of
housing, with no pasture, they often feel it is cruel and a horrible
situation for the horses. But, it is how thousands of horses just in the Los
Angeles area alone are kept, and it works.I never did have any of the vices
so many say they will get, such as cribbing, stall weaving etc. But as I
said, mine got out a bunch, on to some awesome trails.  If your horse is
adjusted to it, I'd personally stay with it. You just have more over all
control it seems of not only his feed, but his welfare too.

Good luck. I know how finding a nice place in the So. Cal. area can be
difficult. We were lucky to have our own horse property.

Jonni (who escaped L.A. in 2000, for Texas...yeehaw!)