Re: [RC] This is one enlightened vet! - heidi

Gee, I wonder who puts shoes on all those wild Mustangs to protect their
feet from excessive wear.?

Good grief.  Wild Mustangs are not asked to go at speed for long distances
carrying a rider.  They pick their way, take their time, and only run in
short bursts unless being chased.  Guess you are unaware of the main way
of capturing wild mustangs in the days prior to technology??  A rider on a
shod horse simply kept them moving for three or four days, and then they
were so sore that they could be easily outrun and captured.

I never said all horses
should go barefoot;

You certainly insinuated it, and inferred that shoeing was a cruel and
unwarranted process.

and you admit that "like most of us", you knock
barefoot horses..

What a load of codswollop.  I've passed many a barefoot horse to compete
at LD levels, and have been interesting to note that if the riders get
very serious, they almost invariably end up shoeing.  As Dr. Balch stated,
it takes years of dedicated conditioning to keep a barefoot horse going,
and even then, the work load and the terrain may well dictate that the
horse not be barefoot.  I don't "knock" barefoot horses--my entire herd
runs barefoot out here on the hill, and they don't get shod until their
workload exceeds their growth rate.  But in my experience, if one is not
willing to damage their feet, one has to shoe before one seriously takes
on 50-mile competition.  (And JMHO, but when people say they are promoting
"barefooting" and then put boots on, that's kind of contradictory.  The
horse still requires hoof protection to do the job.)

I am protesting their rigid mindset in refusing to
print my article about the success I've had.

Rigid mindset?  How about concern for the welfare of the horse?  The most
rigid mindset I've seen with regard to this subject has come from
"barefooters" who proclaim that they will NEVER shoe (quote from one of
the posters in this thread), and who scream bias because not everyone
rolls over and buys their often-faulty logic.  Or did it ever occur to you
that your article may have been rejected for reasons totally unrelated to
the subject matter?  Most publications get WAY more articles than they can
use, and one of the most common things in the mailbox of even the most
successful of freelance writers is the rejection letter...

THAT'S BIAS and uncalled
for, as is your crack about ocean front property in Idaho.

Sorry, I had to try to put it in perspective.  The site you gave was very
much LIKE trying to sell oceanfront property in Idaho.  That's not
bias--that's calling a spade a spade.  Bias is being so wrapped up in your
"cause" that you can't accept a middle ground.

I can
personnly tell you, the more I ride I horse, the better he gets.

Of course!  That's conditioning.  That isn't a justification for not shoeing.

And
99% of the shod  feet I see are sickening.....WAY too long, high heels,
flares, you can only imagine the DAMAGE being  done to the horse's
joints,  not to mention his feet.

I'd like to see where you get your numbers.  But you're right that there
ARE a lot of disgusting shoeing jobs out there.  There are also a lot of
disgusting barefoot horses out there.  Wander through just about any large
broodmare band if you want to see some atrocities.  Again, that is not an
argument against a job done right.

The position on the website is not
extreme,

Oh?  You sure could have fooled me.

just ahead of the times.

Or maybe behind the times...  Extreme positions are not healthy for the
population at large--one could certainly find cases in which going
barefoot was a beneficial treatment for poor shoeing.  One can also find
just as many cases where good shoeing has been the optimal treatment for
horses with barefoot problems.

A non-biased person does not harp about one or the other as being "the"
thing--a non-biased person looks at each case with an open mind and
chooses the approach that will do the most good.

Heidi