Re: [RC] trot vs canter - Linda Hedgpeth

her daughter, a slighter build and taking more after the sire on the other hand is a cantering horse... the kind you feel must have carried the sheiks across the desert, easy riding long reaching rolling ground covering gallop. and her pulse goes down when she's in it compared to her trot.

*******

I can relate to that. I once had a Halynov gelding who was the best canter-er I've *ever* ridden. Everything else being equal (terrain, temps, etc.), he would canter at a lower working heart rate than at a trot. I would love to hear more about cantering vs trot, because I've always wondered about that as a gait choice in endurance. It seems more people (that I have seen) at rides trot, but if one has a talented, efficient canterer......why not that choice as a gait?

I used to marvel over this gelding's yummy rolling canter, and on occasion would canter him very long distances to see what his heart rate would do. It would actually drop from what it had been at a trot and stay there. He could do that nice easy canter while my riding buddy's horses would be doing a med-fast working trot. I would always change his leads regularly so he could use his muscles on both sides equally. Lordy, it was heaven on horseback!

I've got his six year old half-brother I think will be a primo canterer as well. He is still green, but as such, his canter is wonderful. I can't imagine how sweet it will be when he is conditioned, and his canter is cultivated. I would enjoy hearing more about the pros and cons of the canter in endurance.......not as a means for going fast, but as a gait choice over the trot.

Linda