Re: [RC] Sour Grapes--WEC... - Truman Prevatt

Dbeverly4@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 1/31/2005 8:11:00 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

It seems to me, there is such nit picking of this WEC ride, that
is rarely done on our very own AERC rides.

Helllooooo....what planet are you from? Or, do you just occasionally visit Planet Ridecamp? Have you not tuned in right after big rides like Tevis or the National Championship? Please, we are equal opportunity trashers here. Nothing special is being dished out for the WEC, this is business as usual. :)

Absolutely! At the NC I attended in KY, after the rider finished (on the 100) he took his horse from the vet to Barney (Flemming) where blood was pulled for testing. I assume it happened on the 50 but I was running around that day and wasn't at the finish line.

At the ROC in '96 - every horse had blood pulled at the finish line. I believe this happened at the ROC in '97. I have been tested about 3 times. While it might be nice to have more drug testing, the number of positives at AERC rides is very low. In fact if one were so inclined they could calculate of finding a drugged horse given the number of horses tested. In CA drug test is state run and much more frequent. I've been tested a couple of times and have selected the "random" finishing plaes to be tested several time. While we could - and should - do better from the current results at AERC rides it sure doesn't look like drug use (in horses) is a problem. After this number of years - I suspect if it were we would see more positives.

Personally, I'm proud of our US riders.....they traveled an incredible distance and took good care of their horses. I'm so glad that Bev Gray's horse is going to be ok and will get to come home with her.

The news on Bev's horse is wonderful. Having a sick horse can happen to any of us - any time any place and it's not an experience I would wish on anyone.

Sylvia
(oh yeah...on "learning from the Sheikh's"...per an earlier post from somebody.. I say "Pfffffft!" Most of us don't have the money that kind of education would cost...Oh! Maybe that was sour grapes! ;)

Truman