[RC] Pulse Criteria - Cynthia Eyler

I do not understand why AERC allows more than 30 minutes for a horse to meet pulse criteria at the finish.  We swear up and down that we believe in 'fit to continue' at the finish as well as at vet checks along the way, but then we award completions to horses that take > 30 BLT 60 minutes to pulse at the end.  If a horse takes more than 30 minutes to come down, doesn't that indicate that the horse was raced too hard for its conditioning?  Is it really fit to continue?

And, yes, international competitors race closer to the edge than is usually seen in local rides, but if they knew they had to make pulse at the finish in the same time frame as at the vet checks, at least some of them would have to be a bit more careful.

Cindy

As for time allowed for pulsing down, all of these came down in under half
an hour, which is the AERC allowed time at vet checks.  (Not sure what the
FEI allowed time is.)  In any event, one will see this sort of time for
post-ride recovery in USA rides as well, when there is a tough
head-to-head race at the end.