[RC] WEC: The ride - first half - StephTeeter

The images of the day are already fading, it's been 3 days now, and
the details are starting to blur, but the memory of the intensity, of
the laughter and the horse galloping in rhythm to the music is still
bright.

I did a quick supplies check with Grace and Madiya - ice, water,
etc-  all was ready and off we went. Madiya's truck was parked right
next to the exit gate from the crewing area, and we piled in and took
off. A quick look at the map, blue loop, ok  - it starts here - Madiya go
around behind the compound! Hurry! - we can pick the trail up over
there - and away we go. It didn't take too long to catch up with
Mercedes. She was moving right along - working hard to control Kasal,
wishing she had worn gloves. But once she settled in to a nice canter
beside the truck he seemed to understand that this was where he should
be, and he had company. Madiya was driving, and Grace cranked up the
country western music - singing and laughing, we could see both
Mercedes and Kasal start to relax and accept their fate.

There were plenty of rigs on this loop, and we weren't that far off
the front runner pace, so lots of activity at the water stops, film
crews, plenty of reason to pay attention. This is a wild aspect of
Endurance in the UAE - the support rigs racing along with their
horses, but it sure is fun. It is definitely a spectator sport here -
and the drivers have as much sport as the competitors - or maybe even
more..

We blew through the second loop, everything was going well - Kasal
wasn't drinking a lot which was a bit of a worry, but he was too
distracted by the other horses and activity to think about drinking.
We left Mercedes 5km out, called in to Eduardo and the support crew,
and drove back into camp to meet her when she came in off the
loop. Jorge, Juan (the manager of Claudia's operation), and Eduardo
were there waiting. Fast crewing, Kasal dropped fast (he's really an
exceptional horse) and vetted through with excellent scores. Looking
good.

Next loop Grace invited Claudia to go out with us. Of course! She was
thrilled. Madiya drove again, Grace riding shotgun, and once again the
mood was high - Arabic music blaring from the rig, Mercedes and Kasal
happy and relaxed. Easy water handoffs - Kasal was drinking better
this time. Lots of laughter, and I think Claudia was having a great
time watching her athletic horse and capable rider doing the ride that
they had been training for during the past couple years.

Kasal and Mercedes had also ridden for Argentina at the 2004 WEC in
Jerez. Despite the rain and muddy conditions, and the relative
inexperience of both of them at a World competition, they finished
well, in 22nd (?) place. Kasal was 10 years old, in excellent shape,
and they were all anticipating a great career for this exceptional
horse. A few months after returning from Jerez, Kasal had a serious
accident - becoming caught in the fence of his pasture with his hind
leg. They found him in the morning, down and tangled, and not much
left of the skin and flesh of his right hind leg. The bone was exposed
and damaged.

Mercedes assumed that was the end of his career - but Eduardo, who is
a veterinary surgeon, wanted to try to repair and rehabilitate the
leg. He performed several surgeries, gradually returning the bone to
normal, and ever so gradually the skin began to close over the
enormous wound. Once the bone and soft tissue was protected enough
from skin and callus, about 12 months ago, they gradually and
cautiously returned him to work. Each workout was carefully monitored,
and the response of the leg was encouraging. They entered him in the
Pinamar ride last April, his first after the accident, and he went
around the course easily. No sign of lameness.

Continuation with training, and doctoring the leg each day - and he
continued to do well. And skin continued to improve. There is still a
huge scar along the entire front of his cannon bone, and the skin is
still developing - the hair has grown back in some places, an odd
callus type material growing in spots, but the leg is sealed and the
horse is sound. He never actually showed any lameness on the leg once
he started back to work, he's a very tough horse.

So here he is now, from a hopeless accident to a second World
Championship, and Claudia is one proud and happy owner. About 10
kilometers out from the vetgate, I got a call from Eduardo. Listen
carefully he said, get serious please I have something that is very
important for you to tell Mercedes. Music goes off.

One of the team horses has just retired, and now it is most important
that Mercedes ride carefully, and ride to finish. There are only 3
team horses left, and the team is the most important thing to consider
now. Don't take any chances, slow down and be careful.

I called Mercedes over towards the truck and gave her the
message. Antonio and Na Paca had pulled. Mercedes was devastated. This
pair is very special to her, and no amount of coaching and cautioning
had been able to convince Antonio to ride very very carefully and
slowly. He was so caught up in the excitement of being at the WEC!!!
So I told Eduardo - No problem. At that point the mood was more
serious, we would settle down and take care to come into the vet check
in good shape, carefully pulse down - no rushing now - time for
caution.

Ramon (Antonio) Ponces and his Criollo mare Del Siete Na Paca are one
of my favorite 'stories' of this entire event.

Next chapter - a little history on the Criollo horse and Antonio's
great adventure.  For now - off to dinner.

Steph