[RC] RE WEC observations - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: karen kroon karen.kroon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

John- what I thought was different at your ride, other than it seemed to me
that some of the prospective team was holding back, was that you had a couple
of hour holds(the green grass and good water helped also).  In riding and in
vetting I really think the hour holds allow the horses to come all the way down
and really eat and drink. In the shorter holds, even if you have a good crew,
the horses are being washed, in line for the vet, checked,walked back to hold
area, tacked up, now we have the additional check before you leave, all this
limits the time they have to rest and replenish.  I know I like the hour holds
as a rider because I don't usually have a crew but I insist on them as a vet
because I hate spending my night treating horses.  We had lots of horses and
fast times at your ride and no metabolic pulls or treatments (except for one
rider).  How nice to go to bed and not worry about my horse or any horse in
trouble. Some tell me that they are afraid of stiffening up.  Horses that
"stiffen up" -go lame-? after an hour may be better off staying at the check.
This is a small change that can go a long way in my opinion to decrease the
number of metabolic pulls and treated horses. I know in the past the FEI wanted
to limit the hold times so the event wouldn't drag into the night so much, but
with such fast times, a little extra hold time shouldn't matter.
Karen-(Enjoying the Iraq experience, especially the voting success, but can't
wait to get off the internet and back on the trail)