Re: [RC] Reply to Truman - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Just for what it is worth:

I don't care about being involved in all this "stuff" on RC right now.  But, I have seen Nina Warren's horse, Amir Nezraff do a 7:45 min. 100 miler.  He did it on a flat race track type trail and he was a high mileage horse with LOTS of wins and BC's.  And he did it without all of the supplements/goodies of today's horses.  I personally believe he and many others were that caliber horse.

Jody
The biggest question is why are you comparing horses that are no longer competing to the horses of now? Those horses didn't run the flat courses of now, nor were they asked to run a sub-8hr 100 miler. They had terrain changes that allowed their bodys to use different muscles during the race to rest the others. What's the point? These horses cannot come out and prove that their joints or body can hold up to the now intense demands of international racing. Why would you want to do that to a high mileage horse? Joints & tendons are compromised on high mileage horses. Joint fluid is lower on these horses. Nobody said a bad thing about those horses. There is no proof that those high mileage horses could hold up to the intense speed and unchanging terrain as they do now. There are expceptions to every sport and individual, same w/endurance horses. As with any sport, there are always exceptions to the rules. What were the ride times when Becky & Rio competed? Did Rio compete a 100 miler in under 8 hrs? What was the course like? Have these factors changed? Could those horses compete at the speeds at this level now? We'll never know. Everything changes. Is the criteria the same as it was back then? Could these horses stay sound on these surfaces now at the speeds they're doing then turn around and do more mileage. Why would want to do that to a horse. Use your best FEI horse for FEI your best AERC horse for higher mileages. Their joints, minds and metabloics cannot hold up to that kind of continous rigorous demand. Can you? I can't. No offense to Steve or his capability, was he on the team w/this great horse?