[RC] United We Stand Divided We Fall!!!!! - Jonni

You have a very interesting endurance record Debbi, and obviously, a very
different view on what is endurance than others. It seems that you don't
look at longevity of the horses in the sport, but rather do a couple or a
few rides, "win", then move on to another horse. Many of us prefer to have a
horse that will keep taking us down the trail mile after mile, year after
year. As long as the horses are not being compromised and hurt or injured,
there is nothing wrong with either way of looking at the sport. I would say,
that you feeling that riding 12 hours is "ABUSE of every sense of the word",
does show you are not familiar with that aspect of the sport, and know
nothing about it. My guess is you feel multi day rides are cruel too. But,
then again, the horse that will be awarded the high mileage award for 2004,
did more miles in 2004, than you have in your total record, and many of them
multi day rides..riding a very steady pace, that kept him out on the trail
long enough I am sure you feel it was abuse. But he will continue in the
sport, taking his rider to different places, different trails, to enjoy a
days ride at the pace THEY feel is right for that day. Not everyone who goes
"slow" as you say, does so because they don't know how to train for speed,
they go slow, because that is the pace they want to go. And, again, so the
horse will have longevity in the sport. Something you might not be
interested or concerned with (by your record) but others feel that is what
endurance is to them. And to that, what if I said that you go fast, as you
do not know how to train and condition a horse to go day after day after day
for 5 days on a multi day ride? You can continue to race your horses, and
that is fine. Others will continue to ride slower, and maybe 5 days in a row
doing 50 miles  each day<gasp>, and that is also fine. As long as we ALL
look out for what is best for the horses, and do not have them getting
treated to save their lives, or worst yet, die.
Jonni