Re: [RC] Frozen Hooves & Riding in the Snow - Claire Nystrom

I know a few people responded to the question on frozen hooves, but
I'll add my 2 cents.  I live in NY and just rode in the 6 inches of
snow we got yesterday.  I keep my horses barefoot year round.  I ride
on gravelly carriage trails in a state park, so use boots when their
isn't snow.  The horses at work all have "snowshoes" on, i.e. rim pads
to prevent ice from balling up; however, I don't find them nearly as
surefooted as my barefoot horses.  I can go in any type of snow, no
problem, as the natural expansion and contraction of their hoof
prevents snow from packing up inside.  There also isn't any metal for
the snow to freeze to.  The snow balls that form in their feet when
they have shoes on also puts undue strain on their joints, tendons,
etc. because they are forced to move with their legs at an unnatural
angle.  Even if you don't want to go barefoot year round, if you live
in an area that gets lots of snow, you might want to consider pulling
your horses' shoes for winter so you can enjoy riding more.  And the
best part of riding in the snow, is that if you fall off, you're less
likely to get busted up!  I fell off my horse earlier today, but the
snow cushioned me, and I am completely unbruised and uninjured.