Re: [RC] Accuracy of Monitors - Lani M Olson

Karen Nelson wrote--

    Not moist enough on skin surface
    Hand held not in appropriate place on horse--this includes the=
    right side of the horse, which I witnessed!

I am here to admit I was guilty of both of these. Several years ago I offered to volunteer at a ride and knew absolutely NOTHING about what goes on or how to take a pulse. The Ride Manager was of course busy with a million things, gave me a crash course in how to use a handheld and got called to get a horse that had "crashed" on the first loop. Nobody else was there except the timer when the first horses started coming in and I didn't have a CLUE what I was doing. I know I made both of the above mistakes. Most people were very patient with me but I know I upset a couple of people. It's bothered me ever since that I didn't do a good job on an obviously important task. I don't think the RM knew until the last minute what I would be doing and I'm sure didn't realize that I didn't know how to take a horse's pulse with ANYTHING! So after all these years I feel better admitting this and thanking all the people that are patient with volunteers that may not have any experience. I made mistakes and although I can't undo them, I learned, and I want to thank those on RideCamp who have patient with us newcomers.
Lani