[RC] Horse Lovers Christmas Poem - Susan, Princess of Pink

It's The Night Before Christmas
(for the simple country girl)
Maxine Wheatley

It's the night before Christmas, you've got to be joking!
I'm still baking cookies, the oven is smoking!
I dropped half the sugar all over the floor,
I'm taking a walk, I can't take anymore!!!

I stomp 'round the house, down the walk in the yard,
past the mailbox brimming with card after card.
I'm tired and grouchy and pushed to the limit.
This day's been too long, I can't put more in it!

I've wrapped and I've baked, cleaned floors and washed clothes.
My whole body aches from my head to my toes.
I've figured out why, as I walk in the night
"Ba-humbug!" for sure, it's not worth all this, right?!?!

Then I heard a soft whinny in the still of the night.
"What now?", I thought, as the moon shone so bright.
Our little brown filly, who was just born last Spring
came up to the fence and with her did bring....

The wonder and excitement that young children feel
as they lay trying to sleep...knowing Christmas is real.
We went in the barn, just the young horse and I,
and in the warm bedding she laid with a sigh.

I sat down beside her, my thinking now clear.
The first Christmas happened...in a place much like here.

Susan [Young], The Princess of Pink
Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)