[RC] Spook training - WRSINOSKY

I just had to share this with you all about Doimas the beastie.  He has this little spook he does that he generally telegraphs before doing.  It's a lunge forward, then jump to the left.  Well, when he does it, I usually take the left rein and force him to spin in a circle, kind of like what reining horses do. As we come full circle, I stop and back him, then make him stand still.  Okay, so yesterday we went for a 16 mile ride and he did several of his spooks, which I countered with the reining 360.  So, we're starting home and he's being a real jerk, bouncing all over the place and flinching at every sight and sound (this horse isn't afraid of anything by the way, he just likes to play and do that loud whoofing snort so he can prance and stick his tail up).  He does one of the lunge and jumps, but before I can do anything, he continues the spin 360, stops and backs a few steps.  I couldn't help it.  I started laughing.  He's now added my reprimand into his repertorie(sp??- act?).  I swear, there is nothing I can do with this horse that he doesn't include.  He just cracks me up.

And by the way, I decided to ride him until his lamneness shows up again. Once it shows, I'll whisk him off to the vet's to do nerve blocks, so we can finally pinpoint what's going on.

Yesterday we rode over 16 miles, most of it at a trot (with spooking, bolting, bucking and twirling added in to spice up the ride).  Five miles of it was trotting in a wash of thick sand. I attempted the canter, but Doimas had other ideas and would try to take off at a gallop.  I did let him go a few times and it was hysterical.  He took off like someone shot an arrow up his butt and would kick up his heels and buck and scream while he galloped, never missing a stride.

I think he feels pretty good.  Even though he's fat as a pet tick.  Didn't get all foamy with sweat (and it was in the 70's and he's got a winter coat like a bear), didn't breathe heavily, didn't take a bad step.  I'm surprised he's still in such good shape.

Cindy Edwards
M33041
Buckeye, AZ