Re: [RC] Last Ass Over the Pass - Karla Watson

I thought maybe they just gave you a burro you didn't know and you had to do this race. I'm actually glad to hear they do this race now with a burro they own and train/condition with. That is more humane and if any of you have had a donkey, you know the bond is very intense. I'm sure they wouldn't leave you out there and would give their all to their bonded owners. When I go out to my pasture, I can't get rid of my donks for anything. They are truly devoted and loving pets beyond what I would of thought. Their level of intellect and sensitivity is really amazing too.
-------------Karla Watson/WET & COLD Oregon

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 5:49 PM
Subject: [RC] Last Ass Over the Pass

There are a couple of burro races in Colorado. The original one is from Fairplay to the top of Mosquito Pass and back to Fairplay. It began in the 1940s. It's called Burro Days. The slogan for the Fairplay race is "Get Your Ass Over the Pass." Fairplay also has a monument to a pack burro named Prunes (I think) that was the living burro that belonged to a miner. The one in Leadville is called Colorado Boom Days and goes from Leadville to the top of Mosquito Pass on the other side. In a burro race there is a person who runs beside the burro and the burro carries a pack containing a shovel and a pick and other items needed for mining. It's pretty competitive. There are a couple of other smaller burro races that have popped up in other mining towns such as Breckenridge.
Here is a website with a little more info.
http://www.2camels.com/festival44.php3