Re: [RC] ACL replacement - Chris Paus

I sure wanted to get my knee fixed when I tore the ACL. I had no insurance at the time. i knew something was seriously wrong with my knee, but never went to the doctor. The swelling was huge and the pain almost unbearable. It was a stupid accident... i was trying to mount up on my horse bareback and gave myself a little bit too much ooomph and went on over the other side, landing badly.

i just toughed it out and it eventually quit hurting (months and months). 15 years later when I tore the meniscus on the same knee is when I found out I had no ACL. I tore the meniscus on a dismounting accident! As I laid there on the ground holding my knee moaning from a "pop" sound that people 60 feet away heard, my riding buddy and doctor palpated the knee and said, 'did you know you don't have an ACL?"

the MRI revealed what she suspected, but the ACL had been gone for  a long time, so they just did the meniscus repair.

I can't turn the clock back, so I just make adjustments. I never dismount cowboy style, always use both feet to touch the ground when dismounting. I don't trot out my own horse. I ride slower than a lot of other riders, but hey, we get there and I probably have less pain and more mobility than a lot of other people.

with synvisc and supplements, I'm keeping the same knee going.

chris

Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Please Reply to: wendy Tazyteke@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I had tore my ACL while sking 2 yrs. ago also. I did the surgury Oct.2004 and had to go back to work 7 weeks later. It was still a little sore but I did it. I got one of the knee braces and was back to riding within weeks. I did push a little to quick and should have took my time I mean my first ride wasn't till March, HOTR ride. I did the surgury for the same reason the other person didn't. The ACL keeps the knee from slipping back and forth which eventually causes wear on the joints. Of course last March 2 weeks prior to HOTR I tore a tendan in my other knee and it slips alll the time. If that isn't an awfull fealing. So go do the surgery. I also think the cadaver works better then cutting off a strand of Hamsting ligament.