Re: [RC] starting 50s vs LD - DVeritas

In a message dated 11/23/2005 2:05:35 P.M. Mountain Standard Time, tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I believe
that jumping right into a 50 is like teaching someone to swim by throw
them in over their heads - it in the long run doesn't produce a  good
swimmer.
Many agree with your reasoning, Truman.

I don't.  I have a "program" for a fifty mile horse.  It never included an LD.  But, then again, I live in horse country.  My endurance horses are kept like horses.  They are ridden with empathy and can ride "the next mile".

They first become good horses (read, "train the mind, ride the training"), then they become endurance horses.
If they're not good horses, I train them to be.  If they won't train up, they certainly won't make good endurance horses.

Most people have a horse.  Or, maybe, two horses.  They then try to fit that horse into the endurance hole.  Sometimes, they fit.  Sometimes, even with repeated hammering, they don't fit.

Recognizing whether you got a round horse trying to fit into a square hole goes a long ways.

I learned to swim BEST when I realized the water was over my head. :^)
Guess I could've stayed in the shallow end of the pool.

Frank