Re: [RC] Flagstaff Arab needs retirement - Cat ^. .^ ~

Kari Hanes wrote:
Fay,
What happened?
Kari

He is suffering from post-traumatic stress from the
beating he took at the place I am boarding him and needs a loving
retirement home.

It is a rather long story.    I will try to get the details together
and post.  To summarize he was pinned and beaten very severely
by the horse who belongs to the owner of the barn where I
currently board.   I took almost a month for the area which had
skinned taken away by the horse shoes to grow back.  He has
bitten me, reared on his hind legs and came at me with him front
feet, tried to jump on the vet several times, tried to bite and
kick him at the same time a few days ago.

Ever since he had the stuffing kicked outta him
he has turned into a different horse.  Poor Oro.
Serious aggression with no warning signs.   Same way toward
the vet, etc.   He needs to be retired to a nice big pasture
somewhere where he can relax.

I will spend time just walking him by hand, brushing him,
talking to him, sitting with him, and just boom, something
will set him off.   The worst part is that it seems there
are no warning signs for the worst offences.   When he gives
warning signs I back off and sooth him and do bending
exercises to relax him, etc.   When he has acted up
he has received one discipline, but I believe this is
totally fear-based.

I have lost numerous nights of sleep.  This is absolutely
gut-wrenching and heart-breaking beyond words for me.

And putting him down is really not an option.    He deserves
better than that.   None of this (or whatever has happened
to him during the past) is not his fault.

But I am not equipped either skill-wise or financially to deal
with this as a long term project.  Nor do I have property
that is suitable for a horse to be rehabilitated from trauma.
He needs space and not to be bothered by other horses.

My husband wants to keep him, likes him and wants to ride
him.    He has not idea how dangerous this is and is living
in a fantasy world.  He hasn't ridden very much and will
not discipline him in any way.   Because I care about the
horse and want to be responsible, this has become a
terrible stain.

He will be going to my trainer's home the end of the
month.   John is positive he will come around, BUT
I was talking with a woman who worked with Parelli for years
and she rehabilitates horses and finds retirement homes for them.
She hasn't gotten back to me, but she said "if you have
fear of him and have lost your confidence, definitely do not ride him."

I think those are wise words.

Thanks for asking.

--

Cheers,  Fay

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."