[Fwd: Re: [RC] LD] - Bruce Weary

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: LD
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:11:21 -0700
From: Bruce Weary <bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

 Dear Marge--
I have been doing distance riding for over 20 years now, and at all
levels from LD to the Tevis trail. I can safely say that the "LD
basher"  is a mythical beast. LD rides have served a great many
purposes, and continue to do so on an ever increasing basis in our
sport. I have 7000 miles, and yet I may be doing two back to back LDs
this weekend to bring along a new horse. I think LD rides, while
challenging compared to what 95% of the equine world demands of the
horse, are still largely perceived as "easier" than what is known as the
traditional "endurance ride" of 50 miles or more in a day. This is why
it appeals to riders of limited resources of time, money,
knowledge/experience, and physical capability of either horse or rider.
In this sense, the rides are a fabulous way to enjoy the trail within
your own comfort zones regarding these issues.
 There exists, however, an opportunity for a small faction of perhaps
well-intended but misguided or uninformed riders who may be tempted to
enter an LD (again, in part because it is perceived as easier than a
longer distance) and ride an unconditioned and unprepared horse to or
beyond it's physiological or orthopedic capabilities, and cause
irreparable harm or death. Sometimes bravado plays a role.  Since this
has happened many times over the years (and , yes it can happen at the
other distances, as well) there is legitimate concern permeating our
sport for the  possibly overridden horse. I believe when disparaging
words are spoken about an LD ride, this situation is what is being
condemned. Some folks who ride LDs frequently or exclusively, often
"borrow insult" from these comments and take the position that there are
snooty endurance riders who "look down on LDs", as you put it.
   With all due respect, and this is a ticklish point here, the reasons
that people who are physically disabled or limited by time or money
choose LD are not a valid rationale for increasing the awards and
recognition given for LD completions. In the running world, 10Ks are
more popular than marathons. I'm just certain one can't go to the
management of a running event and explain that they are either
physically disabled or limited by time or money and that is why they are
entering the 10k instead of the marathon, but "could I please get equal
or nearly equal credit as the marathoners since either my reasons are
valid, or there are more of us in the 10K?"
  I'm sure there are people who climb Pike's Peak several times in
their life. Certainly a valid, difficult and rewarding achievement. But
no matter how many times they make it to the top, they won't become a
member of the Mt Everest club. Until they climb Mt Everest. That's only
fair, not exclusive and intended to belittle others.
  Oh, and by the way, if anyone DOES want to make disparaging comments
about LD rides in general, I will be a the Desert Gold ride this
weekend, and riding at least one LD ride. I will be happy to meet with
you and we'll step out behind the woodshed and figure things out. ;)
Bruce Weary